DGA Ambassador Team Member Gayle Key Bio
- Division: Female Open
- PDGA#: 17904
- Rating: 757
- Playing Since: 1999
- Home Town: Reno, NV.
- Home Town Course: The Ranch but I prefer to play at Truckee Regional, in Truckee CA.
- Most Current Player Stats – PDGA
- Facebook Page
- NorCal Poppy Series
- Sierra Tahoe Series
Favorites: Gear | Courses | Tournaments
Favorite DGA Discs:
- Sail, Quake and Breaker:
I live at high elevation with high winds and cold temperatures. I also travel a lot so I need a diverse bag, or 2.At the higher elevation I really like to use my 153g Sail, it takes little effort to throw and I can get it to ride a tail wind. I use a higher weighted Sail when I drop into the valley usually about 10 grams higher about a 163g and at the lower elevation I get the same results.I love my Quake it is the newest addition to my bag. It can really handle a hard-powered flick, I had a hard time with mid ranges and control until I found this disc. It works really great in windy conditions and is stable enough to hold those lines down a hill too. I like max weight on my Quake.Then there is my Breaker. I love the way it fits in my hand. I have small hands and the Steady is a little to big for the control and stability I am looking for. My breaker is my main putter.
Most memorable tournament win or moment in DG?:
- My most memorable moment was the Monarch Migration tournament and the series finals last year. It was the completion of the 5th year of the Poppy Series. To Co Found the first ever disc golf women’s series and have had a successful 5th year was quite a moment and realization when it was happening. A goal of having an entire series of women actively competing in a sport I love. To see full divisions of women in the Pro and Amateur fields.That day that moment when I realized we didn’t know all the girls anymore, I realized at that moment what we had accomplished.
Top 5 Courses:
- Turtle Rock, Markleeville, CA
- Kirkwood, Kirkwood, CA
- Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA
- Browns and Bows, Browns Valley, CA
- Sierra College, Truckee, CA
- Mountain Mayhem
- Daisy Chains
- The Skullmaster Disaster
- Monarch Migration
- Turtle Rock
What about being a part of Team DGA excites you the most?
DGA is a huge supporter of women and disc golf. I am really excited about being a part of that family/team. The support given to me by DGA with my tournaments and the support within the Poppy Series. I am excited to see that relationship grow.
What is the strongest part of your Disc Golf game?
I have a great mid shot.
What is your best tip for a disc golfer that has just started playing?
Play doubles in your local area. I try and tell people it’s the best way to meet some people, and you learn a variety of shots. It’s a great way to get over that hump of competing too.
How do you prepare for a big event both mentally and physically?
Practice daily, this year putting all winter in a local warehouse has helped me have more confidence and stamina. I play one hole at a time, I try not do think too much before the event about how a round will go. Physically I play daily, or try to get in at least one round.